Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rustica, 2nd and Poplar Philadelphia

After I first went to Rustica, I returned almost every day for about two weeks. Part of that, now, is that I was working about a 5 minute bike ride away - but on that ride I passed two other pizza places, so it wasn't just about proximity. I think Rustica is top notch, and I look forward to going there every time.

Rustica offers a bunch of different specialty pies (which you can buy slices of at the counter), and interesting ones. I especially like the 4 Gusti (red pie with mushrooms, artichokes, proscuitto and black olives), Old Smokey (a salty red pie with pancetta, smoked mozzarella and oregano), The Mighty Brussel (white pie with roasted brussel sprouts and caramelized onions) and the Bisteca del Tartufo (a white pie with truffled steak and caramelized onions). They also regularly make Sicilian pies, which are delicious and somewhat of a rare treat.

All of their pies, though, are cooked in their wonderfully hot oven for a delightfully crispy crust and slightly browned toppings, which I love. They also proudly advertise their use of imported Italian meats & cheeses from Claudio's in the Italian Market, which I'm down with.

I often find myself putting on rain gear just to bike down to Rustica for lunch. They're always friendly to me and are usually playing some jovial, relaxing Mexican music. I love it.

I've said too much, and yet too little. Oh well. Here are a few pictures.

Beautiful.

No comments: